Record:   Prev Next
Title The Phoenix Mosque and the Persians of medieval Hangzhou / edited by George Lane
Imprint London : Gingko, 2018
book jacket
LOCATION CALL # STATUS OPACMSG BARCODE
 Fu Ssu-Nien WTN LANG BK  BP187.65.C62 H239 2018    EXHIBITION    30530001391093
Descript x, 273 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
text txt rdacontent
unmediated n rdamedia
volume nc rdacarrier
Series British Institute of Persian studies series
British Institute of Persian Studies series
Note Includes bibliographical references (pages 257-271) and index
"In the early 1250s, Mongke Khan, grandson and successor of the mighty Mongol emperor, Genghis Khan, sent out his younger brothers Qubilai and Hulegu to consolidate his grip of power. Hulegu was welcomed into Iran while Qubilai continued to erode the power of the Song emperors of southern China. In 1276, he finally forced their submission and peacefully occupied their capital, Hangzhou. The city enjoyed a revival as the cultural capital of a united China and was soon filled with traders, adventurers, artists, entrepreneurs, and artisans from throughout the great Mongol Empire, including a prosperous, influential and seemingly welcome community of Persians. In 1281, one of their number, Ala al-Din, built the Phoenix Mosque in the heart of the city where it still stands today. This study of the mosque and the Ju-jing Yuan cemetery, which today is a lake-side public park, casts light on an important and transformative period in Chinese history, and perhaps the most important period in Chinese Islamic history"--front flap
English text with selections in Arabic and Chinese with parallel English translations from the Arabic and Chinese
Subject Mosques -- China -- Hangzhou Shi
Alt Author Lane, George, 1952- editor
Record:   Prev Next